Drugstore Liquid Lipsticks
I really like liquid lipsticks, so when the drugstore brands came out with their own affordable ones, I wanted to try them.
Liquid lipsticks have been around for a while now, and they were so popular when they first came onto the market. Initially only high end brands made liquid lipsticks, but then the drugstore brands came out with their own. I bought these around this time last year (December 2015) when I went to the US (I can't believe how long ago that was now!).
My favourite thing about liquid lipsticks is how pigmented they are and how long they last. The only bad thing about them is that some formulas can be quite drying.
One of my favourite liquid lipsticks is the Kat Von D Everlasting Liquid Lipstick in Lolita. I love the formula and the shade, so when I tried these drugstore liquid lipsticks, they had a lot to live up to.
The three I have been using are:
- L'Oreal Infallible Pro Matte Gloss in 310 Forbidden Kiss
- Maybelline Vivid Matte Liquid in 10 Nude Flush
- Revlon Ultra HD Matte Lipcolor in 630 Seduction
The second two are nude shades because if I'm being honest, my nude shades get a lot more use than brightly coloured lip colours. See swatches below.
- Colors are vibrant and pigmented for all shades.
- These smell amazing. They all smell so different, but sooo yummy.
- Relatively long lasting (if you're not doing an excessive amount of eating or drinking, these colours will generally last for a few hours, if not all day.
- I like the wand on each of these. The L'Oreal Infallible Pro Matte Gloss has a triangle shape, which makes it easy to cover the entire lip quickly, but also allows for enough precision to do the edges. The Maybelline Vivid Matte Liquid and Revlon Ultra HD Matte Lipcolor have a very similar wand. They are nothing fancy, but the wands are slim enough to apply precisely. I like them.
- No feathering around the lips. Although the colours transfer, they stay put. There is nothing worse than lip colour slowly smudging and beginning to feather while wearing it. I loved that all of these products didn't do that.
- The formula is not too drying in all of these. This links to my first con, since they are not super matte, they aren't drying on the lips. They are not as comfortable to wear as a moisturising lipstick or gloss, but they aren't as drying as a super matte liquid lipstick.
- None of them dried down to a completely matte finish. Some people may prefer this, but to be honest, I expected these to have a super matte finish. The L'Oreal Infallible Pro Matte Gloss didn't technically have the word "matte" in the name so this one isn't included in this con.
- The colour transfers, a lot. I personally don't like it when bright colours transfers, because sometimes I end up with some on my chin when I eat.
- I wouldn't wear them on a night out or for an important event, because there's just something about them that I don't love. I think it may be the way they apply, even though they're very pigmented, they don't look that great on the lips.
So... Do I have a favourite?
The L'Oreal Infallible Pro Matte Gloss is my favourite. I love the colour and the feel, and it leaves a slight stain on the lips.
The other two are more of a disappointing matte liquid lipstick. They are still nice, but I don't feel like they're anything to rave about and I don't want to buy more shades in the range.
All in all, these are nice lip products. The drugstore did a decent job at making liquid lipsticks affordable, but I still prefer higher end liquid lipsticks. To put it simply, they don't compare at all to my favourite Kat Von D liquid lipstick.